Introduction To Robotics
Build and Program Your Own Line-Following Robot: An Interactive, Hands-on Workshop
Discover the fascinating world of robotics by building and programming your own line-following robot that autonomously navigates around a race track. No prior experience is needed.
This hands-on class lets you assemble the robot hardware, solder motor connections, wire the electronics, learn to write Arduino software, collect data from electrical sensors, control the speed of motors, and customize your robot by modifying navigation algorithms. After the workshop, take your robot home to continue modifying, experimenting, and learning.
- Essential principles of robot design and fabrication processes
- Soldering safety, techniques, and hands-on experience soldering wires to copper pads on motors
- Overview of Fusion 360 computer-aided design (CAD) for rapid prototyping, including 3D printing and laser cutting techniques (limited to theoretical content and a brief 3D printer demonstration due to time constraints)
- Integration of sensors and actuators in robotic systems
- Assembly and wiring of the line-following robot hardware
- Introduction to Arduino hardware and programming for beginners
- Debugging and hardware troubleshooting techniques
Included Take-home Package:
- Line following robot and all associated hardware (valued at $70)
- Comprehensive course notes and resources for continued learning
- Suggested exercises for at-home modifications to the robot
- Guidance on material sourcing and recommended tools
- Arduino troubleshooting guide
Time: 10:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. We will have a 30 minute break for lunch, but note that lunch is not provided in ticket sale (BYO lunch, or local coffee shops).
Price: $160.00 + GST. Includes a take-home robot valued at $70.
Ages: Suitable for ages 15 and up.
Required Equipment: Participants are required to bring their own laptop and charger with a USB Type-A port (or appropriate adapter). Participants must be computer literate, comfortable installing software packages, and managing files.
Location: MakerLabs, 780 East Cordova Street, V6A 1M3, Vancouver, Canada
Cancellation Policy: You may request a refund or reschedule to a future date up to 24 hours before the event by contacting us via email. Refunds cannot be provided with less than 24 hours notice; however, 50% of the price can be credited towards a future session. No refunds or credits will be provided for no-shows. Please note that Eventbrite fees are non-refundable and will be deducted from the refund.
Keywords: Robotics Workshop, Line-Following Robot, Arduino Programming, Fusion 360, Hands-on Learning, STEAM Education, Robot Building, Sensor Integration, DIY Robotics